Thursday, December 15, 2011

Be like the Youngest

Have you ever noticed that when something serious is happening and you are really trying to bring home an important point something, or someone always has to mess it up by cracking a joke or bringing up a point or thought that is completely unrelated. It happens a lot with kids. Well, that is exactly what happened when Jesus sat down with his disciples for His last supper.
Luke 22:24-26 Also a dispute arose among them as to which of them was considered to be greatest. 25Jesus said to them, "The kings of the Gentiles lord it over the people; and those who exercise authority over them call themselves Benefactors (one translations says they rule as politicians who like to be called “friend of the people”). 26But you are not to be like that. Instead, the greatest among you should be like the youngest, and the one who rules like the one who serves.
So here is Jesus giving the lords supper. This is my body that is broken for you. This is my blood that is being poured out for you. Eat this meal in remembrance of me. And then they start arguing over who is the greatest. But Jesus once again reminds them about being the youngest. 
“BE LIKE THE YOUNGEST”
Do you remember what it was like to be a kid? Do you remember the excitement of catching a fish and squealing and throwing your fishing pole? Do you remember what it was like to hit the ball in little league baseball game? Do you remember catching frogs, tadpoles, or  salamanders and just looking at them in a mason jar and wanting to keep them? 
Do you remember being told God made the stars and put them in place and we just believed it. 
Do you remember memorizing the 23rd Psalm, and learning God takes care of us. Then learning how shepherd took care of sheep and the picture of Jesus reaching down to a lamb that had fallen over a cliff. 
Do you remember making hand prints in plaster of Paris, and writing “Jesus made me special” underneath them. 
Do you remember singing “Jesus Loves Me” and “The B-I-B-L-E, Yes that’s the book for me. I stand alone on the Word of God. The B-I-B-L-E”
Remember learning Jesus died on the cross, with all of our sins, so we wouldn’t have to. Remember Jesus’ blood. It washes all my sins away and makes me clean. While teaching a group of elementary kids about communion I told we do it every week so we don’t forget what Jesus did for us. One kid said back “How can you forget THAT?” 
When it comes to faith,  don’t look at it with all of these complex theological issues. Look at simply as the youngest would. The kingdom of Heaven belongs to such as these. 

Jesus loves me this I know, for the Bible tells me so. All of us to him belong. We are weak, but he is strong. 

No comments:

Post a Comment