Friday, July 31, 2015

I'm a Christian Pastor in the Boy Scouts of America



This has been a tough trail to walk down. 
Actually it has been a tough decision as to which trail to walk down. 


I grew up in the Boy Scouts. I had an uncle that was a scout, but that is the only family heritage for me. I started as a Wolf and went until I was 18 and my wife said it was time to stop. (Yes, you read that right. Not all scouts are perfect.) I EARNED my Eagle Scout Award. I was a member of the Order of the Arrow. I was a Jr Asst Scout Master. I hiked hundreds of miles. I camped in countless rain and snow storms. I had great scout leaders who taught us how to be men, not just how to earn badges. In fact, for Troop 173, it was never really about the badges and awards. I had leaders that wanted to shape us and turn us into honorable, productive citizens.  


I will never be able to thank my parents, (who were also leaders),Vic, Tommy, Rich, Fred, Kathy, and Anne and and all of the other men and women who gave me responsibility, let me fell, and helped me succeed. They celebrated with me and corrected me. Not to mention the older boys in the troop that taught me the power of peer knowledge. Victor, Jack, Jamie and Mark taught me just as much as the adults did, (and a few things they probably shouldn't had.)

In fact I have done ministry, scouts, church, missions and camps with that same model of expectation. Teach, Show, Let them Do, refresh, let them do again. You have to try. I will be close by, but TRY!

When my boys got old enough scouts was a natural plan for us. I just wanted to drop my son off and let them learn and experience the way I did. I didn't really know how to be a leader in scouts. It seemed so different from what I did. It seemed so "educational". They finally talked me into being a leader of the WeBeLoS, that was 2010. 

I realized a few things really quick. Boys don't have dads much anymore. Boys don't have a moral standard they follow. The words of the Scout Law and Oath are foreign to them. They don't have a grasp on HONOR, INTEGRITY, and REVERENCE. RESPECT, OBEY, SERVE are not in the vocabulary today. Boys don't know how to use hammers and screwdrivers. They don't know how to read a tape measure. They don't know how to do dishes, fold cloths or throw their own stuff in a bag. 

As I looked at this rabble group of boys the words of God to Jonah came to my mind. 
And should not I pity Nineveh, that great city, in which there are more than 120,000 persons who do not know their right hand from their left - Jonah 4:11
They really didn't know their left from their right hand, so I became a scout leader. This was my mission field outside the church. I taught the boys respect to parents because the Bible says to Honor your Father and Mother. And that is how I taught them. I taught them to respect our Flag and the President (even though we don't agree with him); scripture says to respect those in authority over us because God placed them there. I taught them to take responsibility for your actions because the Bible says we are all responsible for what we do and accountable for our actions (Romans 3:18-20). And that is how I would teach it. 

A leader can do all of this in a teaching manner. One time a boy wasn't listening to his mom. She seemed tired and worn out, as if she had fought this battle before. LOTS. I very quietly asked him over in front of mom. Reminded him that he wears a uniform that says to the world he wants to be a man. Part of being a man is respecting and honoring our parents. I told him God puts a strong emphasis on boys learning to respect their mother and do as she asked. I reiterated that mom says it's time to leave and he needs to be a scout, gather his things and go with her. When he ran off to get his stuff Mom was crying. She thanked me, gave me a hug and said nobody has ever done that for her. 

"The sport in scouting is to find the good in every boy and develop it." - Sir Baden-Powell

That was the moment that sealed my desire to be a leader. That was the moment that said to me, these boys need Godly men in their lives. I will be the first to tell you that I am a messed up man. I can agree with Paul when he says the stuff I want to do I do not do and what I don't want to do that is what I do. I struggle with many sins and temptations daily, so I DO NOT think of myself as having it together or better than anyone else. (If I ever did start to think that, I will just ask my wife and kids and they will quickly humble me.) I am unapologetic in my use of scripture and prayer, and i do not ask permission.

I fully dove into Boy Scout leadership AFTER the 2013 policy release to not exclude "gay" scouts from the program. I agree with that decision. Just like I would not ask a "gay" kid to leave my church. Just like I would not dismiss a friend for telling me he struggles with alcohol or lying. It is my job as a fellow sinner who has found the right path, to help other people along it. My involvement as a leader was a purposeful calculated decision. Somewhere along the scouting line things got out of hand; I am now serving on a district level in a position (or three) I never knew existed. 

At that same time a group of Christian leaders began a new scouting program called Trail Life USA. I like their stuff. I like their purpose and mission statement. I like their handbook and it's focus on scripture and God. I like the green uniform (which I still have hopes BSA will bring back). I like the emphasis on character and outdoors over merit badges and awards. I like their ranks as a title of maturity and growth as men. I like it. I have a lot of their resources. I do not think less or down on anyone who left scouting to begin this fine organization. In fact I applaud your courage. 

But I have chosen BSA as a mission field. 

This week, however has challenged my decisions. BSA revised their adult leader policy to allow openly (I hear unrepentant) homosexual leaders in the scouts.

This goes against several moral, biblical beliefs. A Christian is to be above reproach. A Christian Leader is to be free from sexual immorality. A Christian is to be repentant of those activities the Bible calls sin. Do I have sin in my life? Yes. Do I have sexual sin in my life? Yes. Do I have emotional sin in my life? Yes. Am I repentant? If I were a catholic priest or monk I would have scars all over my back from self-flagellation. (that would be a YES) At the same time I can not applaud, support, nor encourage the sin of homosexuality.    

As of right now, I do not know of any homosexual, etc, leaders in the scouts. As of right now there is an openness and freedom to still be a Christian leader. I'm sure the time will quickly come when I have to make a decision; will I reach out the Left Hand of Brotherhood and Unity or hold back. Will I unapologetically hold out the words of life to everyone, like Jesus did, or will I step away. Will I treat another scout leader as a fellow sinner who is need of repentance and hospitality or will I leave them to their own demise? 

I hope I can live up to Paul's encouraging words in Philippians 2 "work out your own salvation with fear and trembling, 13 for it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure.14 Do all things without grumbling or disputing, 15 that you may be blameless and innocent, children of God without blemish in the midst of a crooked and twisted generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world, 16 holding fast to the word of life.

I hope I can remember I am there for the boys. To teach them and train them in the way they should go, using fun, skills, and games to encourage them into manhood as productive honorable citizens of a country who desperately needs them. I pray I can confidently and gently guide them into the path God has for them. I beg God to help me be the genuine example of God's grace for them to learn what a real Dad and Husband looks like. That I can live up to Sir Baden-Powell's words:

“There is no teaching 
to compare 
with example.”

I am a leader in the Boy Scouts of America. I may not be proud of how the National leadership has flip-flopped and seems to be controlled by financial influences. I am not crazy about the rules and standards in place within the scouting programming and planning. I don't like the emphasis on merit badges. I'm not there for those people. I'm there for the boys. And they need Christian/ Godly men to come along side them and SHOW them the right trail.

By God's Grace, 
I will do my best
to do my duty to GOD and my country,
 and to obey the Scout Law. 
To help other people at all times.
To keep myself physically strong, 
mentally awake, and morally straight.


5 comments:

  1. Based on my understanding, the BSA isn't a Christian organization. Yes many churches have their own troops. The God and Country award recognizes many different religions. If a Hindu man came to the troop and asked to be a leader, would you deny him? The 10 commandments says that you're a sinner if you're put other gods before God. Isn't that man a sinner? (When I was in scouts, some of my fellow scouts were Indian. I didn't know their religion.) What about a Buddhist? Will you deny a man that lives with his girlfriend? Depending on the denomination if you're married a second time without annulment, you're considered to be in an adulterous relationship. Why all the emphasis on this one particular sin vs all of the others I listed above?

    ReplyDelete
  2. BSA has never been a Christian organization. But it has been a respecter of religions and their beliefs. I grew up with hindu friends in scouting. We didn't have marsh mellows in our hot cocoa and ate vegan meals on a regular basis.

    This issue is different because it is the first time our society has been able to convince (bully in my opinion) a wide number of people to accept this "sin" as normal and to be celebrated. Scouts does not allow drinking at all or even smoking within eye sight of boys on events. This has also been a very divisive issue causing drastic life changing decisions on all sides. This sin is no different than any other sin, and I think I made it clear and plain that I am no different.

    Also, i think this decision makes me different from most of my conservative evangelical friends and peers. I have been asked why I am still involved in BSA. What I think about Trail Life USA. What I would do when this announcement came out. So here is my response.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did they bully you into accepting Hindu scouts? They're definitely sinners, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I fell to see where or what I have said is inconsistent. I have not claimed to be better than anyone else. I have not claimed to hate anyone else. If anything, the fact that I was in scouts with hindus, jews, and atheists further shows my consistency.

      But to answer your question, yes. They are sinners and do need Jesus. They do need his grace. Homosexuals need God's grace. Thieves need Jesus. Pastors need Jesus. James Hubbard needs God's grace. We are all sinners in need of God's salvation. The Bible is clear that all people, me included, on earth are dying due to sin; he holds out this offer of eternal life for all of us based on the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus. Hopefully we choose to accept it.

      My hindu friends knew where my faith was. We would have good talks about our different faiths. I was pretty consistent then. Not perfect, but consistent. I try to think through things before I act or open my mouth. I don't automatically think the worst in people. I usually give the benefit of the doubt. But I do try to filter everything through scripture. That makes a big difference. I hope that sets your mind at ease.

      Delete
    2. BTW, I'm not attacking. I'm sincerely trying to understand. How is it bullying you to ask that you treat homosexual leaders that you believe are living in sin the same way that you would a Hindu or Buddhist who are definitely living in sin? I am happy that you remain in the BSA, but I have a difficult time understanding the above disconnect.

      I don't expect any additional answer. I won't bother you on this topic again.

      Delete