Friday, February 3, 2012

To good to be ... God?

You know the saying. We're taught it at a young age. It's the battle cry of every good pessimist and now most of America. "That's too good to be true!" bit we have good reason, right? We have info-mercials running 24-7 promising to be the greatest thing in our life, help our marriages, make our kids smile and work, and generally fulfill our pursuit for happiness.

Politicians, G.E., LG electronics, and ketchup all promise a "to good to be true" effect on our life. Even my soap promises a "High lather shower experience that will leave you feeling clean, refreshed and invigorated with a woodsy scent. Rinse well."Why would I want to rinse something that powerful off?

I don't think I'm a pessimist. I would consider myself a cautious optimist. I always heard the saying, "if it's too good to be true, then it probably is." Up until recently I had never give that phrase much thought. I recently had something offered to me which caused me a lot of concern. And I said to myself, 'it's too good to be true'. While I was praying though God reminded me that he is TRUTH (John 1:14, 14:6)) in fact standing before Pilate Jesus said the whole reason he came was to testify to the truth.

While reading in the book of Matthew Jesus is talking about only God being good (Matthew 19:17). We also see that every good and perfect gift comes from God (James 1:17). Peter said that those who are followers of Jesus have tasted and know that God is good (1 Peter 2:3).

So with all of that being said I had to ask myself, "Is this offer too good to be God?" Oh wait what about the "good" part of that phrase? So then I asked "Is this too God to be God?" It's kind of a redundant question, I know. It is a good question. So I have to ask myself a bigger question. "Do I really believe God would set everything up my benefit, the other's benefit all for his glory and furtherance of His kingdom?" So is God active in our everyday lives?

When things seem to be "falling into place" or "just happens to. . ." or "this is too good to be true". Maybe it is God intervening in our life, and  "To God to be God" is just how He would do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment